Caveblazers is a pseudo-multiplayer platformer roguelike set in a fantasy world. Each game is unique with procedurally generated levels to explore, and a massive amount of items, weapons and equipment.
The game takes place in a recently discovered cave, said to hold “unimaginable power”. You play as an adventurer setting out to explore the cave and find out what riches it holds, however you are not the only one.
As you delve deeper in to the cave, you’ll discover new areas to explore, new weapons and new monsters to try them out on.
- Pseudo-Multiplayer – Caveblazers attempts to emulate a multiplayer experience by incorporating random encounters with other “players”. These “players” are AI controlled characters which behave like other players and have randomized behavioral characteristics which will depict how they interact with other players. Some will follow and help you, some will run from you, and some will be aggressive towards you. The advanced pathfinding system means that these “players” will most likely be able to track you down wherever you hide. There is no escape. Be afraid.
- Platformer Roguelike – Caveblazers is a modern platformer, but also incorporates some Roguelike and RPG elements such as permanent death, randomized potion identities, RPG-style inventory and a massive amount of items, weapons, equipment and upgrades.
- Procedural Level Generation – Each level is procedurally generated, destructible, and full of dangerous monsters, items and things for the player to interact with.
- Melee and Ranged Combat – This is a feature which is mostly overlooked in other modern roguelikes. Caveblazers attempts to move away from the simplistic combat systems we’ve seen in other games in the genre, and incorporates fun, fluid and fast-paced combat which is accentuated by the game’s brutal and persistent blood effects.
- Modern/Retro – Caveblazers features retro pixel art combined with modern technologies and sound effects, resulting in an interesting aesthetic.
The features in the full release will largely depend on community feedback. However, our initial thoughts about future features are as follows:
- Loads more items, weapons, equipment, etc.
- New melee and ranged weapon types which can be selected in the starting area.
- Character customization.
- Epic boss fights at the end of each area.
- Improvements to the “pseudo-multiplayer” system. Making “players” smarter and more varied.
- Additional areas.
- More enemies, specific to each area.
- An ending.