Welcome to Crest, a god game where you are as a parent to your children. Your only way of communication with your subjects is commandments you write for them. How these commandments are interpreted and remembered are not set in stone. What you write and what experiences they have with the environment is the basis for their religion. You might find that your people will change on their own accord over time and use your commandments for their own devices.
You have an indirect control of your people with your commandments; consequences of your actions may not always be clear and you will need to be aware of the ever-changing environment and your people’s disposition, amongst others their disposition towards you. Expressing yourself is the key of Crest; you will do so through your people and the world they shape.
- Write rules for your subjects which will have interesting consequences.
- Many different ways to express your divinity which will be reflected in your followers.
- Immersive feedback which will show you the progress of your people and create a rich history.
- Procedurally generated game world which changes over time and shows wear and tear.
- An expressive game without end-goal where you can focus on building your legacy.
- Your people have free will, focus on leading them rather than controlling their every move.
- Emergent world where weather, vegetation, mineral deposits, drought and animal behavior will create surprises.
Progression and Losing
Every new world you start is unique; you can’t have multiple saves of it so you will have to think carefully of what you want to do. If your people die off that world is gone forever as a playable save file. However, you will be able to view the legacy of your old worlds. As long as your people live you can continue playing, and as you progress create your own history.
Crest takes inspiration from the diverse and inspiring heritage of several ancient African cultures. This is done with the intention to give you a feeling of a mythological time from humanity’s cradle, where we all originate from. In this world humanity has yet to spread further than from a small string of islands and the people you lead is the only clan that has ever existed. Your followers are part of an advanced iron age civilization, but the focus is not on technological advancement but on culture and religion. The setting for the game world, its flora and fauna is based on African biomes, with rainfall determining the tug-of-war between desert and jungle.