Negotiate water rights from scorpion gods in this necromantic legal thriller! Discredit your boss, solve murders, and reanimate your own corpse to keep your city from drying out.
Deathless: The City’s Thirst is a 150,000-word interactive novel by Max Gladstone, author of Choice of the Deathless and the Craft Sequence novels, nominated for the John W Campbell Best New Writer Award, the XYZZY award, and the Lambda Award. Your choices control the story. It’s entirely text-based–without graphics or sound effects–and fueled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.
You won the God Wars, killing the rain god and taking over his desert city. But now the city needs water, and it’s your job to make it rain. As a rising associate at a god-killing public service conglomerate, you can monopolize your city’s public utilities, or fight to keep water affordable for everyone. Build alliances with powerful necromancers, or help local farmers hold onto their land. Find love, or betray your friends. Overcome the trauma you suffered in the God Wars. Prevent murders, or commit them.
Just Keep the Water Flowing.
- Play as male or female; straight, gay, or bi
- Match wits with master necromancers, real estate magnates, and journalists
- Climb the social ladder of Dresediel Lex
- Help the needy, or laugh callously as the world burns
- Drink with undead kings over the ruins of a destroyed civilization
- Kill people you may later really wish you hadn’t killed
- Betray trusted friends and their entire society
- Fight giant scorpions and renegade priests—or join forces with them
- Look for love in extremely wrong places