Conceived as a jet-powered replacement for the A-1J Skyraider™, Ed Heinemann’s design became undoubtedly one of the most successful aircraft ever built. The small and simple approach produced and highly agile and durable machine. The A-4™ pioneered the post-war ‘attack’ concept – a fighter-bomber with emphasis on the low-level bomber role, in which proved itself extremely capable in operations. ‘Heinemann’s hot-rod’ was also designed to carry nuclear weapons delivery, a primary design consideration in the early 1950’s when the Skyhawk™ was designed. Despite being a bomber first and foremost, the agile A-4 was a superb ‘adversary’ aircraft and was also used by the Blue Angels aerobatic team into the 1980’s. In continuous production for a record 25 years, surviving through many variants and exported to many foreign air forces around the world, the ‘Scooter’ was still flying well into the 1990’s, nearly 50 years after its conception at the Douglas works in Long Beach, California.
The A-4 Skyhawk™ for FSX: Steam Edition focuses on the A-4E™ and A-4F™ variants and includes a wealth of realistic features including carrier catapult launch and landing compatibility.
- Fully functional APG-53A radar unit, with multiple modes and functions
- High quality native FSX models
- Multiple bomb/missile/tank loadouts
- Accurately modelled and working catapult bridle and holdback assemblies
- 2048-pixel bump-mapped textures.
- High quality 3D cockpit.
- Realistic switch and knob ‘click’ sounds.
- Super-smooth ‘RealGauge’ 3D instruments.
- Illustrated user manual in PDF format.
- High quality soundset.
**Note – this aircraft does not feature a 2D panel