Gold Edition is the most complete version of Making History: The Calm and the Storm, a sandbox WWII grand strategy game where you build up a war machine and take over the world, fight to save the world from tyranny, or…perhaps a little bit of both. Begin at a series of historical starting points and then make decisions that will change the course of history.
It’s the mid-20th century, and the entire world is about to be set aflame. Build your armed forces and lead them into battle. Use diplomacy to forge alliances, declare war and negotiate peace. Access the dynamic world market to buy and sell vital resources, offer foreign aid, or embargo other nations to further your own strategy. Research investments produce military and technological advancements that can mean the difference between victory and defeat.
The scene is set. The pieces are in play. It’s time to make some history!
- Get playing more quickly: The game’s interface and intuitive gameplay make this one of the easiest grand strategy games to learn, and the open nature of the game combined with the ability to play as any one of over 80 nations offer endless replayability.
- Expanded gameplay: Gold Edition adds new military unit properties and gives you the ability to rename units, preset rally points and set waypoints for more tactical movement. Regions can upgrade defenses, transportation, and food production simultaneously. Better financial reports let you manage your treasury more easily.
- Effortless Game Navigation: Player’s console provides one-click access to all critical information and actions. Play on the classical “virtual board game” style world map with beautifully detailed city, military, and other models.
- Multiple Ways to Win: Pursue victory for your Nation, your Alliance, or your Ideology (Democracy, Communism, Fascism, or Authoritarianism) You can also go for a domination victory and set the percentage of land you need to control to win the game.
- Ten scenarios included. Multiple starting point before and during the war, plus alternate history scenarios and the fantasy scenario, “Clash of Continents.”
- It’s good to be the bad guy: The exclusive scenario “Rise of the Reich” focuses on Germany and let’s you start in 1933 and build your war machine to conquer the world.
- Engage the enemy! In WWII, the most advanced and smartest combined forces carried the day. Research, build and deploy a wide variety of ships, submarines, artillery, infantry, tanks, armored vehicles, fighters and bombers. Also research tactics like maneuver warfare, hedgehog defense and amphibious assaults to give your forces bonuses.
- Destructible environment: Watch your attacks wreak havoc on fortifications and transportation infrastructure, see cities on fire or research atomic weapons and turn them into holes in the ground.
- Insurgency! Watch your back as you conquer the world. Partisans may seize control of enemy regions you’ve captured unless you leave troops to garrison them.
- Use your industry wisely: Decide how much of your production is used to generate wealth, stockpile arms, build military units, conduct research, or construct more factories.
- Who you are affects how you play: Your chosen nation’s wealth, tech level, population, industrial strength, and allies will all influence your strategy.
- Sophisticated World Economy: Players control trade, aid, industrial development, infrastructure investments, and a deep field of research.
- Design your own scenarios with the Game Editor: Create completely new nations and cities, set treaties, develop entirely new military units and research projects. Alter existing scenarios to suit your own play style. There are already hundreds of mods available from the MH community, and two of the best are included with MH Gold as official game scenarios.
- Simultaneous turn-based Multiplayer: Play with up to eight others in multiplayer mode, using in-game chat to devise joint strategies and secret pacts.
- Know your stats! Keep track of everything with the detailed archive and encyclopedia